Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Viva Cuba!

We've all heard it a million times... Thumper lending advice to Bambi or our Mother's voice echoing in our ears: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

In my time as an online wine show host for Grape Potential, I had one rule: If I didn't like a wine, we wouldn't talk about it. I found it disrespectful and counter-productive. The philosophy of the show was to make wine approachable, accessible and inclusive. Certainly that wasn't going to be accomplished by slagging what my viewers might have been enjoying right at that very moment!

That philosophy will be furthered here in the People's Republic of Yum. On our journey together I refuse to drag restauranteurs and wineries through the mud and prefer to focus on the positive experiences I have with food and drink.

That being said, let me tell you a little story...

I was planning dinner out with 7 friends (half out-of-towners) a few weeks ago. I was effervescent with my choice on where to eat...the most charming little Cuban restaurant, tucked oddly into the middle of a well-established residential area. Julie's Cuban, or Julie's Snack Bar as the sign out front says.

To give my guests a little insight into where we're going, I decide to google the place and then send them the link to their website to peruse the menu in advance. Well, talk about a shock! As the google results are loading, up come reader reviews sooo toxic I could never have prefaced our dinner with this link.

I was appalled to see a 1 out of 10 reader rating and a list of angry and downright mean comments soiling the page and the reputation of one of my Toronto standards. I have taken some serious foodies to Julie's and they've been deliciously delighted each and every time.

So, I didn't forward the google link, or the restaurant's website to my guests and opted towards the element of surprise. And wouldn't you know it, EVERY person at our table was punch-drunk on the mojitos, stuffed silly from the fabulous feast, enchanted by the playful atmosphere and uber-appreciative to the entire staff for their hospitality.

Thank you, Julie's Cuban. You are an island of untold riches in a sea of bad press.



2 comments:

  1. So many unbooked hotels in my past! Darn negative Nellies!
    Julie's Cuban was awesome! Great food and atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and I had our first date there and then I went back for my stagette before we got married! I LOVE Julie's! - Steph

    ReplyDelete